All MFA applicants should submit their application materials postmarked no later than February 1. Review of applications will begin on February 15 and applicants will be notified of admissions decisions by the end of March.
Step 1. Application to the Office of Graduate Education & Research
- Application for Graduate Admission (Submit online.)
- Non-refundable $50 application fee (May be paid online, by mail, or over the phone)
- Official transcripts from all schools attended, other than Northern Michigan University (Independent evaluation of transcripts required for international students.)
- Declaration and certification of finances (international students)
- TOEFL score (international students)
Send application materials to: Office of Graduate Education & Research, Northern Michigan University, 1401 Presque Isle Avenue, Marquette, MI 49855.
Step 2. Application for English Department Graduate Programs
- MA/MFA English Graduate Program Application Form (writeable PDF)
- Statement of professional purpose addressing your interest in the program, your ability to succeed in graduate school, and (if relevant) your teaching experience
- Résumé or curriculum vitae
- Writing sample consisting of either 10 pages of poetry or 20-30 pages of fiction or creative nonfiction
- A 10-20 page critical essay (can be made up of 2 essays)
- A minimum of three letters of recommendation addressing your promise as a writer and your ability or potential as a teacher.
Admissions decisions will be impacted primarily by the writing sample. The supplemental materials are also important, as they assist us in determining funding for incoming students.
Send portfolio to: Department of English, Northern Michigan University, 1401 Presque Isle Avenue, Marquette, MI 49855.
If you have any further questions, please contact: