MA applicants are accepted continually throughout the year. All MA applicants applying for funding should submit their application materials postmarked no later than February 1. Review of applications will begin on February 15.
Step 1. Application to the Office of Graduate Education & Research
- Application for Graduate Admission (Submit online.)
- Non-refundable $50 application fee (May be paid online, by mail, or over the phone)
- Official transcripts from all schools attended, other than Northern Michigan University (Independent evaluation of transcripts required for international students.)
- Declaration and certification of finances (international students)
- TOEFL score (international students)
Send application materials to: Office of Graduate Education & Research, Northern Michigan University, 1401 Presque Isle Avenue, Marquette, MI 49855.
Note: STOP if you are an MA applicant who does NOT need funding – your application is complete. MA applicants seeking funding continue to Step 2.
Step 2. Application for English Department Graduate Programs must include a portfolio with the following materials:
- MA/MFA English Graduate Program Application Form (writeable PDF)
- Statement of professional purpose addressing your interest in the program, your ability to succeed in graduate school, and (if relevant) your teaching experience
- Résumé or curriculum vitae
- A 10-20 page critical essay (can be made up of 2 essays)
- A minimum of three letters of recommendation addressing your promise as a writer and your ability or potential as a teacher
Send portfolio to: Department of English, Northern Michigan University, 1401 Presque Isle Avenue, Marquette, MI 49855.
If you have any further questions, please contact: