Below you will find the procedure to help you complete your MA or MFA application to the Office of Graduate Education & Research and the Department of English. Both applications need to be submitted in order to receive potential funding. MA applicants not seeking funding only need to complete Step 1.
Candidates who submit incomplete files are not considered for available assistantships. Candidates for funding may be considered for teaching assistantships and non-teaching graduate assistantships. Evidence of previous teaching experience will be taken into account when awarding teaching assistantships.
MA applicants are accepted continually throughout the year. All MFA applicants and MA applicants applying for teaching and graduate assistant funding should submit their application materials postmarked no later than February 1. Review of applications will begin on February 15.
Step 1. Application to the Office of Graduate Education & Research must include:
- Application for Graduate Admission (Submit online.)
- Non-refundable $50 application fee (May be paid via online, mail, or telephone)
- Official transcripts from all schools attended, other than Northern Michigan University
****(Independent evaluation of transcripts required for international students.)
- Declaration and certification of finances (international students)
- TOEFL score (international students)
Send application materials to: Office of Graduate Education & Research, Northern Michigan University, 1401 Presque Isle Avenue, Marquette, MI 49855.
Note: If you are an MA applicant who does NOT want funding, STOP here– your application is complete. If you are an MFA applicant who is seeking funding or an MFA applicant, continue to Step 2.
Step 2. Application for English Department Graduate Programs must include:
A portfolio with the following materials:
- MA/MFA English Graduate Program Application Form (writeable PDF)
- Statement of professional purpose addressing your interest in the program, your ability to succeed in graduate school, and (if relevant) your teaching experience
- Résumé or curriculum vitae
- A 10-20 page critical essay (can be made up of two essays)
- A minimum of three letters of recommendation. Letters for MFA applicants should address the applicant’s promise as a writer and ability or potential as a teacher. Letters for MA applicants should address the applicant’s scholarly and writing ability and potential as a teacher.
- MFA applicants only: Either 10 pages of poetry or 20-30 pages of fiction or creative nonfiction
Send portfolio to: Department of English, Northern Michigan University, 1401 Presque Isle Avenue, Marquette, MI 49855.
If you have any further questions, please contact:
Department of English (906) 227-2711
MFA Program Director: Jen Howard, email@example.com
MA Program Director: Russ Prather, firstname.lastname@example.org
Office of Graduate Education & Research (906) 227-2300